In this eminently readable, remarkably unstuffy, visually exciting guide to discovering wine, Joanna Simon toasts the newest generation of wine lovers. More than 250 full-color photographs, maps and charts beautifully complement her effervescent approach to the fascinating world of wine, as she dispels the mystique that so often surrounds the subject. At last, someone has come along to show you how to make the most of every glass, and provide you with the crucial hints that can make you a wine aficionado -- virtually overnight. You will learn how to:
* Taste and judge wine like a professional
* Match the best wine and food combinations
* Follow the new guidelines for serving and storing your wines
* Discern between "classic" wines and those that emulate them
* Understand the importance -- and role -- of grapes
* Know when a particular wine is ready to drink
The author continues to demystify wine, as she explores famous vineyards and explains how the wine makers use grapes to their most delicious advantage. And after a concise but thorough roundup of today's wine styles, Simon conducts a tour of discovery through wine regions throughout the world -- from Chianti to Coonawarra, from Médoc to Moldova, and everywhere in between.
As entertaining as it is informative, Discovering Wine is destined to become the new definitive beginner's guide to wine.